Surf Mentor is our summer program for inner city kids in Los Angeles and New York. We make trips to local beaches in both of those cities, and teach those youth how to surf while also mentoring them in life skills.
Here’s a look at what went down this summer across the coasts.
- Los Angeles – 30 adult volunteers mentored 27 kids
- New York City – 51 adult volunteers mentored 53 kids
100% of the 78 youth who went through our program this summer reported feeling safe when they are at STOKED programs*! We’re proud of that stat., because above all, we value the safety and well-being of the youth we serve. *Program Managers STOKED Charlie and STOKED Sophia polled youth participants at the end of the summer, and here are some results from that survey.
Hear what kids who went through the program had to say about it.
Los Angeles Testimonials
- STOKED is a gnarly program that inspires me every time I step in the HQ. — Perla S., 16
- Because of STOKED, I have more knowledge about relationships with other people, that being committed to something will always bring something good, and always be on time and ready for the unexpected. — Bruno R., 19
New York Testimonials
- Before I joined stoked I would never have thought i would be snowboarding down a mountain, or skateboarding down a hill or standing up on a surfboard (even though that was always a secret dream of mine), so I showed me that the opportunities are out there, you just need to learn how to look. — Christine J, 16
- I loved Surf Mentor. I am so happy and proud that I was given the opportunity to learn how to surf and to have met the great friends and mentor over the summer. STOKED has been a really exciting program for me, it has given me the opportunity to explore things that I never thought I would be able to. — Leon, 16
To everyone involved who made this season possible; our sponsors, volunteers, and of course, the ocean itself, THANK YOU!