** THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING FOR STOKED. PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR OTHER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE FUTURE.**
Stoked Mentoring is seeking a part-time After School Instructor to lead an innovative skateboard building program in New York City public schools.
Stoked’s mission is to empower youth from under-served communities to achieve a more successful future by providing programs based in action sports culture that result in personal development, academic achievement, positive relationships, and a healthy lifestyle.
The Stoked Plus skateboard build program in an innovative after school program that reinforces life skills while also providing school credits in the context of a twice-weekly skateboard building workshop. Coordinators will be implementing this program in a New York City high school.
This job will include:
- Teaching youth the process of constructing a skateboard deck from scratch, from the woodworking through art application
- Being a strong presence in the school community and reinforcing academic values, while incorporating students into the Stoked community and
- Motivating, inspiring and leading students to push their personal expectations and limits in a culture of high achievement
- Meeting with school staff to determine their needs
- Conducting student recruitment and retention
- Attending program training sessions to learn the skateboard build process
- Customizing curriculum to incorporate the school’s culture
- Delivering instruction to students and assisting with their final projects
- Maintaining communication with the school and Stoked to report outcomes, make changes in program design, promote out of school Stoked programming and assist with assessment and program evaluation
- Experience working with high school-aged youth
- Able to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Able to work with a diverse group of students and maintain classroom control
- Experienced skater and/or familiarity with skateboarding history and culture; primarily within New York City is preferred
- Understanding of the working and manufacturing aspects of skateboards is also preferred
Two – four days a week during after-school hours; typically 3pm to 5pm or 3:30pm to 5:30pm
Please send your resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com. In your cover letter please explain your interest in action sports and specifically how you think they facilitate youth development.
This position is listed on idealist.org as well.